The first step in any defibrillation program, is proper planning. This typically involves conducting a site survey of the physical location of the defibrillation program, and developing a response plan. This step is the roadmap which guides the rest of the defibrillation program.
A comprehensive site survey considers the following:
- Physical Location - Buildings, Grounds, Parking, Remote Sites
- High-Risk Areas
- Response Barriers
- People - Staff, Visitors
- Equipment Placement - Locations, Mounting, Security, Climate, Phone Proximity
- Operating Hours
Initial Response Planning considers the following:
- Responder Selection - Who will be selected to respond? How will they be trained, and what will be expected of them?
- Notification - How will responders be alerted?
- Response - How will responders physically respond?